Bonny Lea Farm Opens New Social Enterprise – The Shop on Central

CHESTER – October 10, 2019 – Bonny Lea Farm is planning a Grand Opening for their new social enterprise, The Shop on Central, on Saturday, October 19.

The small shop and café, which quietly opened its doors in late August, gives adults living with a disability the opportunity to experience working in the community.

“We’re often told that Bonny Lea Farm is one of Nova Scotia’s best kept secrets. The problem is, we don’t want to be a secret. We are hoping that The Shop will help raise our profile in the community, offer a rewarding growth opportunity for participants and showcase the great products made at Bonny Lea Farm and other social enterprises around Nova Scotia,” says Bonny Lea Farm Executive Director David Outhouse.

The Shop on Central carries products made in Bonny Lea Farm’s six social enterprises, including a “Treat of the Day” baked in our commercial grade kitchen, as well as items from All Ways Us (YACRO), Conway Workshop, Prescott Group, The Ark, and Lake City Woodworkers, with more arriving weekly.

The Buy Local theme carries through to their coffee and cold beverages, featuring Nova Scotian Just Us! Coffee products and Terra Beata fresh juices, and Canadian Pluck tea.

Currently a number of participants from Bonny Lea Farm and one participant from the South Shore Work Activity Program work at The Shop on Central, which is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00-2:00pm.

Participants are proud to be representing Bonny Lea Farm to the public, learning new skills and showcasing the many products made by people with disabilities.

Using a model of empowerment, motivation, encouragement and collaboration The Shop sets employees on a course for success. 

The Shop on Central Grand Opening is Saturday, October 19 from 10:00am-2:00pm.

Plan to drop by 227 Central Street in Chester to check them out and wish them well!

To contact The Shop on Central call 902-273-2324 or email

About Bonny Lea Farm

Bonny Lea Farm’s founders had a vision for people who live with the everyday challenges of a disability – hope for a fulfilling life with opportunities to learn, grow and succeed.

Since 1973, Bonny Lea Farm has given hope to over 300 people living with a disability. Today they support 46 participants from across Nova Scotia in their residential, vocational and enhanced programs. About 75% of their funding comes from the provincial government. The remaining 25% is raised from foundations, grants, their social enterprises and donations.

Media Contact

Liz Finney

Bonny Lea Farm

902-275-5622 ext 241